Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Snow!

I shared some of these photos on my other blog, Leaf and Line, but I will add them here, too.

The weather conditions were just right this morning for beautiful types of snow crystals. According to a chart I found in Ken Libbrecht's Field Guide to Snowflakes, our temperature and humidity were perfect.

This is a sectored plate:






And this is a stellar dendrite:


When I pushed the snow back to photograph these, I think I saw fernlike dendrites in the mix, but they broke apart and I could not tell for sure. Even with these photos, I was essentially photographing blind. I could not tell what the finished image would look like, because I was not using a DSLR. I probably took at least a hundred photos, and these are the best. Looking through them all, though, was like being on a treasure hunt.


No comments:

Post a Comment