Monday, May 4, 2015

Storm season

Years ago, when we lived in Tennessee, we were on the edge of tornado territory. I went through a class to become a National Weather Service volunteer storm spotter. My spotting skills were not useful in the next couple of states we lived in, so I've let the training slide.

I'm thinking of taking another class here. I still have my programmable weather radio, and it was going off a lot last night. But in between cloudbursts, we saw this through the window:



I love rainbows. They are always a surprise when you see one, and they have such an ephemeral beauty. The colors are vivid, but not glaring- more like a diluted pure watercolor, which, of course, makes sense.

After last night's storm, the street and our deck are covered in maple seeds. These always find their way into my sketchbooks. When I was a kid, we used to toss red maple seeds high into the air, and watch them spiral down, spinning like helicopter blades. These are silver maple seeds, and they are larger than the red maple ones.


I love the texture and the muted colors in this photo. I think I have always been in love with the camera's macro lens, too.

The rest of the week's forecast looks rainy. It is also finally getting warm enough to switch over to short sleeves. The first wave of spring flowers- the Japanese magnolias, cherry blossoms, and forsythia, are finishing. Lilacs are still flowering. Wildflower season should be upon us soon, and I cannot wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment