Friday, May 15, 2015

Winter Wren

I think I've just identified a winter wren! It flew down onto my patio to pick around in a potted plant's soil. I've been trying to identify the song for a week now. It then gave a trill and flew off. It was so small, and such a good shade of tree-bark- brown, it's no wonder I have not been able to see it before today.


My NE bird guide says it's an uncommon spring migrant, but prefers riparian habitat. We are fairly close to a river here.


The song matched the one on the Cornell Lab website.


Another bird to add to the list! I just wish I had been quick enough to get a photo.


Edited to add: because my training is in the sciences, I am naturally suspicious of any uncommon bird sightings, including my own. However, this particular bird has been recorded in my county, according to the NOU. I would like to know in what months it has been seen here. It looks like it has bred at Lake McConaughy, too. Any NE birders who might read this, would you let me know your thoughts? I am certainly open to being wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment