Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Bird list, so far!

We have not been in Nebraska very long, but here are the species of birds I have seen or heard, so far:

Canada Goose (of course!!!)
Bobwhite (voice only)
Great Blue Heron
(Cooper's Hawk) (likely)
Killdeer
Mourning Dove (yes, Mom and Dad, they are here, too! My parents call them suburban pigeons.)
Yellow-billed Cuckoo (voice only)
Great Horned Owl
Common Nighthawk (voice only)
Belted Kingfisher
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Northern Flicker
Blue Jay
Barn Swallow
Black-capped Chickadee
White-breasted Nuthatch
American Robin
Brown Thrasher
European Starling
(a yellow warbler... id???)
Chipping Sparrow
(Vesper Sparrow... not certain)
Northern Cardinal
Dickcissel (voice only)
Red-winged Blackbird
Western Meadowlark
Brewer's blackbird
House Finch
House Sparrow

Well, that's a good start!!! I am not going to attempt to identify that beautiful yellow warbler. And the ones I am just not sure about, like the Vesper Sparrow, and the Cooper's Hawk, I have placed in parenthesis.

 My family members have seen others, like a hummingbird and an oriole, and I was exasperated by the fact that by the time I ran to see them, they were gone. Why does this always seem to happen? 



No comments:

Post a Comment