Monday, June 23, 2014

Summer Serenade

I was washing dishes this evening, when I realized that I was hearing a very familiar sound in this unfamiliar place... cicadas! How appropriate for this evening, one of the shortest nights of the year.

Cicadas are such interesting insects. I remember being stunned to see the pretty colors on a live one when I was a kid, since previously I had only seen the split brown exoskeletons on the trees.

We had one type in Tennessee that sounded just like a chainsaw. That one was a periodical cicada that only makes an appearance above ground in a 13 or 17 year cycle. The cicada I am hearing tonight here in NE is the more common "dog day" cicada, but I believe periodical cicadas appear here, too.

June 23rd is now marked as Nebraska "cicada day" for me. It is very possible that they were out a while ago, and I did not notice them before tonight, but it will be interesting to see when I first notice them in future years.


The fireflies are out in full force, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment