Friday, June 20, 2014

Nature Notes in Nebraska

Exploring new places has always been a joy for me. I love to learn the names of new birds, see new plants, and experience different weather patterns.

Once again, I find myself in a new place, and I am enjoying this process. Nebraska is beautiful, even more so than I expected. Many of the trees, wildflowers, and birds are familiar: I have a better handle on things east of the Rockies. But there are still surprises every day. Last night, we saw fireflies-- I have not seen those since we lived in Tennessee.

I have always wanted the chance to explore a prairie environment. The actual prairie is something you have to seek out here because of development, but there are pockets of wildness in the many parks and recreational areas to explore.

We went to Beatrice, NE for the Homestead Days at Homestead National Monument. It was a very enjoyable day, and I was thrilled to hear a bobwhite and see a prairie dog town.

Before we moved here, all I knew of Nebraska was the College World Series, I-80, and how friendly the people in York were (we stopped there on a long road trip, years ago, fascinated by the water tower painted like a hot air balloon). There is so much more to this state than that. As we settle in, I will be able to explore more of the natural areas, and I hope to share some of the beauty here.


No comments:

Post a Comment